Fried Baby Squid In Fish Sauce – Mực Rim Mắm
Fried Baby Squid In Fish Sauce
By Helen Le Published: October 15, 2021
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
- Yield: 2-3 Servings
Fried baby squid in fish sauce is one of my favorite side dishes to serve with rice. It's so simple to prepare but you will never have it enough. Let's begin!
- To prepare the baby squid, remove the eyes, the teeth, and the quill. Make parallel incisions along the body of the squid so the seasonings can absorb better.
- Quickly blanch the squid in water with a piece of smashed ginger and shallot. Remove with a mesh strainer and leave to drain. Season the squid with some salt and chicken stock powder. Toss well and cover, leave to marinate in the fridge for about 15 minutes.
- Top the baby squid with some cornstarch.
- Heat some oil in a pan and fry the squid for about 5-6 minutes until quite a golden brown.
- To make the sauce, in a small bowl, combine one and a half tablespoons of sugar, a tablespoon of fish sauce, a tablespoon of lime juice, a teaspoon of chili sauce, half a teaspoon of chili powder, three tablespoons of water, and stir well.
- Melt a tablespoon of butter in a pan, and fry two tablespoons of minced garlic until golden brown. Transfer the garlic chips into a small bowl. Pour in the sauce and bring to a boil. (Make sure you turn on the kitchen hood at this stage so the whole house will not smell of fish sauce). When the sauce is slightly thickened, add the fried squid and toss well. Simmer on low for one to two more minutes. Add the chopped scallion.
- Transfer to a plate to serve with some fresh cucumber and mint. Garnish with some fresh chili slices and garlic chips.
Fried Baby Squid In Fish Sauce – Mực Rim Mắm – Watch how to make it on Youtube