Red bean porridge with beef – Chao dau do
Red bean porridge with beef - Chao dau do
By Helen Le Published: August 28, 2013
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Ready In: 5 hrs 50 mins
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
A very nutritious kind of rice porridge. Best to kill a cold.
- 500 g beef shank, 1-inch cubed
- 1 cup red/black beans rinsed and soaked in water overnight
- 2/3 cup (sticky) rice rinsed
- 2,5 liter water 10,4 cups
- 2 asian shallots
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp stock powder
- 1 thumb-sized knob of ginger , julienned
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 2 sprigs cilantro, chopped
- In a mortar and pestle, crush 2 shallots together with 1 tsp salt. Then add the fish sauce and pepper. Mix well.
- In a pressure cooker, combine the beans, rice, water and beef. Bring to a boil over high heat. When it boils, lower the heat to medium and skim off the foam. Then add the above seasoning sauce and ginger. Cover the lid and cook for 25-30 minutes following the manual of your pressure cooker.
- Ladle to a serving bowl. Garnish with chopped spring onion and cilantro, and some more pepper to taste.
Since 2011, I've passionately shared my cooking videos on social media to help food lovers make mouthwatering authentic Vietnamese dishes at home. I've been featured in many prestigious magazines and TV shows, playing different roles like a character, guest, and even a cooking show host. I'm also a proud author of best-selling cookbooks that have made their way into kitchens all over the world. You can grab my cookbooks in English, Vietnamese, or Chinese from tons of online stores and bookshops worldwide. Let's cook up some tasty adventures together!