Prawn Curry – Cà ri tôm
Recipe: Prawn Curry - Cà ri tôm
By Helen Le Published: July 20, 2015
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 50 mins
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
- 300 g prawns peeled anddeveined, leave the tails attached
- 100 g pumpkin cut into 1.5-inch cubes
- 100 g sweet potato cubed and soaked in salted water
- 5 lady fingers (okra) cut the ends, cut into 2 or 3
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 lemongrass cut into 3 inch length, slightly smash
- 1 yellow onion small
- 1 tbsp tomato sauce
- tsp shallots minced
- 1 tsp garlic minced
- 1 tsp lemongrass minced
- chicken stock
- vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp tumeric powder
- Season the prawn with some salt, pepper, chicken stock. Mix well and set aside.
- Bring a large saucepan on medium heat. Add 2 tbsp vegetable oil. Then add the bruised lemongrass and stir fry for about 30 secs to bring out the aroma. Also add in the rest of the minced lemongrass, shallots and garlic.
- When it turns quite golden brown, keep the heat at very low, add in 1 tbsp curry powder and 1 tsp tumeric powder. Add 1 tbsp tomato sauce and 1 cup of coconut cream. Also add 3 cups water and bring to the boil over high heat.
- When it boils, add the sweet potatoes first. When it boils again, add the pumpkin and cook for about 5 mins until they are quite soft.
Add 1 tsp salt and 2 tsp sugar.
- When the sweet potato and pumpkin are soft enough, add in the rest of the ingredients: the okra, the onion and the prawn.
When the okra is soft and the prawns turn orange, it's time to turn off the heat.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Garnish with some coriander on top.
Since 2011, I've passionately shared my cooking videos on social media to help food lovers make mouthwatering authentic Vietnamese dishes at home. I've been featured in many prestigious magazines and TV shows, playing different roles like a character, guest, and even a cooking show host. I'm also a proud author of best-selling cookbooks that have made their way into kitchens all over the world. You can grab my cookbooks in English, Vietnamese, or Chinese from tons of online stores and bookshops worldwide. Let's cook up some tasty adventures together!