Pumpkin Soup (Vegan) – Canh bí đỏ chay
Recipe: Pumpkin Soup (Vegan) - Canh bí đỏ chay
By Helen Le Published: June 22, 2015
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 60 mins
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Cut the smaller mushroooms in half and bigger ones in quarters. Then season with 1 tbsp the minced white part of spring onions, 1 tsp mushroom seasoning and some pepper. (If you're a Buddhist vegetarian, you can use leeks instead of spring onions). Mix well and set aside for about 15 minutes.
- Cut the pumpkin into large cubes, then remove the fibrous parts in the center and peel off the skin. Cut the pumpkin into 1-2-in cubes
- After soaking the raw peanuts in water for a few hours, remove the silky skin, and then roughly crush them in a mortar pestle or in a plastic bag.
- In a saucepan, heat 1 tbsp vegetable oil and fry some green onion until fragrant. Then add in the mushroom and stir fry until cooked. It will take about 2-3 minutes. Then transfer the stir fried mushroom back to the bowl.
- Add 1 litter of 4 cups of water into a pot and 1 tsp salt. Add the peanuts and cook for about 15 minutes until it's quite soft. Occasionally skim off the foam. Also add 1 tsp mushroom or vegetable stock.
- After 15 minutes, add in the pumpkins, cover the lid and cook for another 15 minutes until the pumpkins are soft.
When you can easily break the pumpkins with the chopsticks, that's when it's cooked. Now add the stir-fried mushroom back to soup pot and season again to your taste.
- Finally garnish with some green onion, cilantro or sweet basils.
Since 2011, I've passionately shared my cooking videos on social media to help food lovers make mouthwatering authentic Vietnamese dishes at home. I've been featured in many prestigious magazines and TV shows, playing different roles like a character, guest, and even a cooking show host. I'm also a proud author of best-selling cookbooks that have made their way into kitchens all over the world. You can grab my cookbooks in English, Vietnamese, or Chinese from tons of online stores and bookshops worldwide. Let's cook up some tasty adventures together!