Steamed Rose Buns – Bánh Bao Hoa Hồng
Steamed Rose Buns - Bánh Bao Hoa Hồng
By Helen Le Published: March 22, 2021
- Prep: 45 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 60 mins
- Yield: 9 buns (4 Servings)
Steamed Rose buns might look complicated, but actually very easy to make. With an eye-catching appearance, the buns are made with natural ingredients which is healthy and tasty at the same time.
- Blend the diced beet root with a dash of water. Then extract the juice.
- In a medium bowl, combine 75ml beet juice, 75 ml milk, 3 g yeast and 2 tsp sugar. Stir and let sit for about 10 minutes to activate the yeast.
- Sift 300g all-purpose flour and 30g powdered sugar, make a hole in the center and pour in the yeast mixture. Knead well for about 3 minutes then add 10g of unsalted butter. Continue to knead until you get a soft, smooth piece of dough. Cover with a piece of cloth and let the dough rest for about 50-60 minutes until doubled in size.
- Punch the dough and knead for about 2 minutes. Then divide into 10g-portions. Shape each piece into a ball and roll it out into a thin disk. Arrange about 5-6 disks in a row, partially overlapping. Shape a small piece about 5g of dough into a small cylinder and place in the center of the top disk. Add some cheese if desired.
- Roll the dough, then cut in half to form 2 roses. Repeat the process until finish.
- Place the bun into the steaming basket and steam for about 10 minutes. Then lower the heat and steam for another 3-5 minutes. Slowly open the lid as temperature shock can make the bun tougher.
Steamed Rose Buns – Watch how to make it on Youtube