Vegan Hoi An Chicken Rice – Cơm Gà Hội An Chay
Vegan Hoi An Chicken Rice
By Helen Le Published: November 26, 2021
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
Today I will make a vegetarian version of shredded chicken rice which is a specialty of Hoi An. The dish has all the items that you can normally find on a plate of Cơm gà Hội An, but surprisingly there's no meat. Let's get cooking!
- 3 cups white rice rinsed, soaked for 1 hour then drained
- 200 g seitan or white gluten
- 1/2 onion finely sliced and soaked in ice water
- 50 g Vietnamese mint chopped
- 1 head garlic minced
- 1 lime
- 50 g straw mushrooms
- soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp five spices powder
- vegan oyster sauce
- mushroom stock powder
- vegetable oil
- ***For the broth***
- 1 daikon half cubed, half shredded
- 1 carrot half cubed, half shredded
- 30 g dried shitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cabbage
- To make vegetable stock, combine daikon, cabbage, and carrot and dried shitake mushrooms in a saucepan filled with 2 liters of water. Bring to a boil and cook for about 30 minutes over medium-low heat.
- To make vegetable pickles, combine shredded carrot and daikon with a tablespoon of sugar and vinegar. Toss well and leave to sit for at least 15 minutes.
- In a pan, sauté some minced leek until fragrant. Add the rice, cook and stir for a minute, then add half a teaspoon of mushroom stock powder, turmeric powder, and a pinch of salt, mix well and transfer to a rice cooker. Add vegetable stock to barely cover the rice, then press to cook in a rice cooker until done.
- Finely dice the straw mushrooms, also remove the shitake mushrooms from the stock, and finely dice.
- In a pan, sauté some minced garlic and minced leek until fragrant. Add the diced mushrooms, season with soy sauce, vegan oyster sauce, mushroom stock powder, and sugar. Mix well, then add 50ml vegetable stock. Simmer on low for 2 minutes and then take off the heat.
- Pat the wheat gluten dry and pan fry until golden brown on all sides. Leave to cool and shred along the grain like you normally shred chicken.
- To make the dressing, in a bowl combine 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tsp mushroom stock powder, 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp lime juice, stir well and adjust the seasoning to achieve the perfect balance of flavours. In a large mixing bowl, combine the shredded seitan, the dressing, sliced onion and Vietnamese mint. Toss well.
- Serve the cooked rice on a serving plate with the mock chicken salad, mushroom sauce, pickles and a side bowl of vegetable soup.
Vegan Hội An Chicken Rice – Cơm Gà Hội An Chay – Watch how to make it on Youtube