Vegan Quang Noodle – Mì quảng chay
Recipe: Vegan Quang Noodle - Mì quảng chay
By Helen Le Published: November 22, 2014
- 250 g chayote/kohrabi peeled, half cubed, half diced
- 350 g pumkin peeled and cut into cubes
- 200 g taro diced
- 2 steaks tofu pan-fried and sliced
- 120 g seitan (wheat gluten) sliced
- 100 g mushrooms (straw, shiitake, etc) cut in bite size
- 2 pieces tumeric (finger size) chopped
- 4 tbsp raw peanut oil or vegetable oil
- Fill a saucepan with 6 cups (1.5 litters) of water and bring to a boil. Then add pumpkin and chayote cubes. Cook 15 minutes until soft. Then remove the cubes and mash them.
- Add the diced vegetables into the remaining broth. Cook for 7 minutes and then add 1 tsp salt. When the diced vegetables are soft, you can add in the mashed pumpkin and chayote.
- Insert tumetic into a ziplock bag and crush it.
Roughly chop up the white part of the leek and crush it well with a mortar and pestle with 1/2 tsp salt.
- Heat up about 4 tbsp virgin/raw peanut oil until hot. Add the leek and fry til quite golden. Then add in the crushed tumeric quickly fry for about 10 seconds.
- Then add the mushrooms and season with 1 tsp mushroom seasoning and 1 tsp sugar. Stir-fry for a minute and then add the sliced tofu and seitan. Mix well and season with 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper.
- Chop off the green part of the leek and some cilantro. Add the green leek directly into the soup pot and turn off the heat.
- To serve, fill a bowl half full with the fresh greens, then top it up with the thick rice noodle. Then ladle the soup over the noodle. Garnish with some chopped cilantro and some crushed peanuts.
Since 2011, I've passionately shared my cooking videos on social media to help food lovers make mouthwatering authentic Vietnamese dishes at home. I've been featured in many prestigious magazines and TV shows, playing different roles like a character, guest, and even a cooking show host. I'm also a proud author of best-selling cookbooks that have made their way into kitchens all over the world. You can grab my cookbooks in English, Vietnamese, or Chinese from tons of online stores and bookshops worldwide. Let's cook up some tasty adventures together!