Banana Blossom Salad – Gỏi bắp chuối
Recipe: Banana Blossom Salad - Gỏi bắp chuối
By Helen Le Published: November 22, 2014
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
This recipe is from my mom who in my opinion makes the best banana blossom salad in the world! If you live in the West, it might be difficult to find banana blossom, so you can use shredded red cabbage to substitute.
- Place the the pork and shrimps in 2 separate bowl and season each bowl with a tsp minced garlic and a tsp minced shallots. Also add some pepper, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 chicken stock. Mix well and set aside for about 15 minutes
- In a pan, add about 1 tbsp vegetable oil and fry some minced garlic until fragrant. Then add the pork and stir fry for about 5-10 minutes until fully cooked. When the pork is completely cooked, transfer it into a bowl.
- Return the pan back to the stove, add some more vegetable oil and stir fry the shrimps until they turn completely orange.
Turn off the hear and let it cool.
- To make fish sauce vinaigrette: in a mortar and pestle, add 2 cloves of garlic, 2 red hot chili peppers and 1/2 tbsp sugar. Crush it into a paste.
In a separate bowl, add 1 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp fish sauce. Then squeeze 1 fresh lime to get 2 tbsp lime juice.
Add the garlic and chili paste on top of the sauce so it will be float.
- Spread the banana blossom on the plate, and top with the fresh mints. Then place some stir-fried pork on the top, and some of the stir-fried shrimps. The drizzle some of the fish sauce over and adjust to your taste.
Finally top it up with some crushed peanuts.