Eggplant and Perilla Soup – Canh cà bung
Recipe: Eggplant and Perilla Soup - Canh cà bung
By Helen Le Published: October 16, 2015
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 Servings
A comfort food from Northern Vietnam for everyday meal
- Season the pork with 1/3 tsp turmeric powder, 2 tsp fermented shrimp paste (or fish sauce), 1 tsp sugar and 1 tbsp minced garlic and shallots, some pepper. Mix well and set aside for about 15 mins.
- Heat a pot on medium heat and add 1 tbsp vegetable oil, then add some minced garlic and shallots and fry until fragrant. Add the pork and stir-fry for 5 mins.
- Then add the eggplants and stir for 1-2 mins before adding the tomatoes. You can add some "mẻ" made from fermented rice or 2 tsp yogurt or some vinegar to add a hint of tanginess to the soup.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt and also toss in the fried tofu puffs and stir well.
- Add 3 cups water , pork broth or chicken broth to barely cover the surface. Then add some fish sauce or chicken stock.Sprinkle the perilla into the soup, saving some for garnish later. When it boils again, turn off the heat and ladle to a serving bowl.
- Top with some perilla leaves and it's done! You can serve it with rice.
Since 2011, I've passionately shared my cooking videos on social media to help food lovers make mouthwatering authentic Vietnamese dishes at home. I've been featured in many prestigious magazines and TV shows, playing different roles like a character, guest, and even a cooking show host. I'm also a proud author of best-selling cookbooks that have made their way into kitchens all over the world. You can grab my cookbooks in English, Vietnamese, or Chinese from tons of online stores and bookshops worldwide. Let's cook up some tasty adventures together!