Duck Noodle Soup w/ Bamboo Shoot – Bún măng vịt
Recipe: Duck Noodle Soup w/ Bamboo Shoot - Bún măng vịt
By Helen Le Published: December 24, 2015
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 60 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 30 mins
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
- 1 whole duck (about 1.5 kg)
- 1 knob ginger double thumb-size
- 1 tbsp alcohol
- 8 shallots
- 1/2 onion peeled
- 1 onion cut into thin slices, soaked in cold water
- 1/4 head cabbage shredded
- 400 g bamboo shoot tear into strips and boil with boiling water, do not cover the lid, remove and rinse under running water, squeeze out the water
- chicken stock
- spring onion, cilantro
- 1 lime
- In a mortar and pestle, roughly crush 1 large piece of ginger with 1 tsp salt. Then add 1 tbsp strong alcohol into the mix. Rub this all over the duck inside and out. Rinse well under running water and then insert 3 slices of ginger and 2-3 shallots into its cavity. Place the whole duck into a large pot filled with enough water to cover, add 1/2 a peeled onion and 1 tbsp salt.
- Turn on the heat and bring to a boil. When it boils, skim off the foam and lower the heat and cook the duck for 20-25 mins under low heat.
- Thinly slice 5-6 shallots, add some oil in a pan and fry the shallot slices until golden brown. Then remove the shallot slices and set aside. Use the left over fragrant oil to stir- fry the bamboo shoot: add some minced garlic and fry until fragrant, and then add all the bamboo shoot. Stir for a couple of mins and then lower the heat and start seasoning: 2 tsp chicken stock, 1 tsp sugar and 1,2 tsp salt. Mix well ans stir fry for 5 mins.
- To make the dipping ginger fish sauce: 1 tbsp garlic, 2 tsp ginger, a few chili. Crush everything finely in a mortar and pestle with 1 tsp sugar. Then dissolve 3 tbsp sugar with 4 tbsp fish sauce. Then add the garlic ginger chili mix into the fish sauce and squeeze in half a lime.
- Remove the onion from the soup pot and transfer all the stir-fried bamboo shoot into the broth. Have a taste and season to your taste.
- Cut the duck lengwise in half along the spine, detach the legs and drumsticks, remove the bones near to the breast and cut into the breast bite-sized pieces. Place the duck meat on top of a plate of thinly shredded cabbage
- Roughly chop the Vietnamese mints, ____ coriander and cilantro. Then mix with the thinly sliced onion. Place the cooked Bún into a large serving bowl and arrange a few slices of duck meat on top. Also add some shredded cabbage, a little bit of bamboo shoot and the white parts of green onion. Ladle the hot soup over the noodle and sprinkle with some of the fresh herbs and the fragrant shallots.
Since 2011, I've passionately shared my cooking videos on social media to help food lovers make mouthwatering authentic Vietnamese dishes at home. I've been featured in many prestigious magazines and TV shows, playing different roles like a character, guest, and even a cooking show host. I'm also a proud author of best-selling cookbooks that have made their way into kitchens all over the world. You can grab my cookbooks in English, Vietnamese, or Chinese from tons of online stores and bookshops worldwide. Let's cook up some tasty adventures together!