Chè bánh lọt – Worm-like jelly drink
Chè bánh lọt - Worm-like jelly dessert (Cendol, Lod Chong)
By Helen Le Published: October 7, 2012
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 40 mins
- Yield: 4-6 Servings
A refreshing summer drink.
- In a saucepan, mix together the starch, sugar, water and pandan extract. Stir well till dissolved (no heat). Then cook on medium heat while constantly whisking. When the starch starts being cooked, it sticks to the bottom of the pot and the whisk (you can feel heavy), lower the heat and whisk vigorously until the batter thickens into a slight translucent paste.
- Transfer to a potato ricer and gently press the handle to drop the paste into a bowl of icing cold water. The paste will form into worm-like jelly.
- To make sugar syrup, dissolve sugar and salt in water on medium low heat. Simmer for a few minutes and let cool.
- To make coconut topping, stir well to dissolve tapioca starch, sugar and salt in coconut milk (no heat). Then bring to boil and simmer on low heat (stir occasionally) for a few minutes until slightly thickend. Overcooking might turn the sauce too thick.
- To assemble the drink, in a glass, add shaved/crushed ice, jelly, sugar syrup and coconut topping. Mix well and enjoy.You can also add other toppings like mung bean paste, sweet red bean etc.
Since 2011, I've passionately shared my cooking videos on social media to help food lovers make mouthwatering authentic Vietnamese dishes at home. I've been featured in many prestigious magazines and TV shows, playing different roles like a character, guest, and even a cooking show host. I'm also a proud author of best-selling cookbooks that have made their way into kitchens all over the world. You can grab my cookbooks in English, Vietnamese, or Chinese from tons of online stores and bookshops worldwide. Let's cook up some tasty adventures together!