Christmas Gingerbread Cookies – Bánh Gừng
Christmas Gingerbread Cookies - Bánh Gừng
By Helen Le Published: January 20, 2022
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 35 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
- Yield: 4 - 5 (4 - 5 Servings)
This is the recipe for my favorite gingerbread cookies, which is also one of the most popular Christmas cookie recipes. Loved by both kids and adults, this classic cut-out gingerbread cookie recipe is simple to make, looks great when decorated, and tastes amazing every time.
- Beat up the unsalted butter until fluffy. Add brown sugar. Beat until combined. Crack in the eggs and mix quickly. Add 1tsp of vanilla extract and mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine two types of flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon powder, ginger powder, five spice powder and chilli powder.
- Sift the flour mixture into the butter mixture in 3 additions. Mix well to combine. When you finish adding all the flour, knead with your hands until the dough is formed. Wrap the dough with some saran wrap and chill in the fridge for about 20mins.
- Preheat the oven at 175 degrees C.
- Take out the dough and roll into a disc (about 1cm thick). Use cookie cutters to cut into any shape that you like.
- Bake the cookies for 8-11mins depending on their size. When your kitchen is filled with amazing fragrance and the cookies is right to the chest, it's done. Let the cookies cool down before decorating.
- To make the icing: Separate the egg and gather the egg white in a bowl. Place the bowl over a saucepan of boiling water. Stir well over medium-low heat to pasteurize the egg. When it's warm to the touch, you can take it off the heat.
- Beat up the egg white and add sifted powdered sugar. Add in gradually and beat well.
- Add 1tsp of vanilla extract. Mix well.
- When the icing is thick and glossy and stiff peaks form, it's done. If the icing is still too soupy, add in sugar powder little by little.
- Transfer the icing to a piping bag and decorate the cookies as you wish.
- Let the icing dry by leaving the cookies at room temperature for half a day, or bake them at 90-100 degrees C for 10-15mins.
Christmas Gingerbread Cookies – Bánh Gừng – Watch how to make it on Youtube