Grilled seitan vermicelli salad – Bún mì căn nướng
Grilled seitan vermicelli salad
By Helen Le Published: October 6, 2021
- Cook: 45 mins
- Yield: 4 Servings
This is the vegetarian version of the famous dish called “Grilled pork vermicelli” (Bun thit nuong) in Vietnam. In this recipe, I use seitan (wheat gluten) as it has a meaty texture and absorbs spices very well. Grilled seitan salad will be perfect for hot summer days when you want something with meaty flavour but cool and refreshing!
- 200 g seitan (wheat gluten)
- 1/2 tsp five-spice powder
- 2-3 branches lemongrass minced
- 600 g fresh vermicelli
- For the sauce:
- 2 cubes fermented bean curd
- 2 tbsp fermented soy beans
- 4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp leek (white part only) minced
- 1 tbsp peanut butter
- vegetable/mushroom stock powder
- Soy sauce
- vegetarian oyster sauce
- Cut the seitan into bite-sized pieces. Season with ½ tsp five-spice powder, 1 tbsp minced lemongrass, 1 tsp sugar, ½ tsp vegetable/mushroom stock powder, 1 tbsp soy sauce, a pinch of pepper and 1 tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce or vegetable oil. You can grill the seitan in the oven for 10-15 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius or in an air fryer for 10 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a food processor, add 2 chao cubes, 2 tbsp fermented soy beans, 4 tbsp water, 1 tbsp sugar and then puree. Fry the minced leek in a pan, pour the blended mixture, add 1 tbsp peanut butter and 4 tbsp water. Stir and simmer over low heat until the sauce has slightly thickened.
- Place fresh greens and vermicelli in a serving bowl. Add grilled seitan, some tofu wrapped in betel leaf. Drizzle some annatto oil and sauce so that the noodles do not dry out and look appetizing. Finally sprinkle some roasted peanuts and fried leek.
Grilled seitan vermicelli salad – Bún mì căn nướng – Watch how to make it on Youtube