Oxtail Stew with Beer – Đuôi bò hầm bia
Recipe: Oxtail Stew with Beer - Đuôi bò hầm bia
By Helen Le Published: October 31, 2015
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 50 mins
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Make shallow incision around the oxtail so it can cook faster and it's easier to eat later. Soak oxtails in water with 1 tsp salt to release the blood and change the water a few times.
- Boil the bones about 5-10 mins with some smashed ginger and 1 tbsp rice wine to reduce the strong smell and also to release the impurities inside the bones. Dump out the whole pot and rinse the oxtail clean.
- Add 1 tsp oil in a pressure cooker and fry 1 tsp garlic until fragrant. Then toss in the oxtail and stir well. Add 2 tbsp soy sauce, the spices: ginger, star anise, cinnamon stick, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp caramel sauce. Stir well for 5 mins and add 1 can of beer. Add 1 tsp chicken stock and cover the lid of the pressure cooker. Cook for about 20 mins
- Let the pressure cooker cool down and open the lid. Add carrots and potatoes. Cook for another 10-15 mins until the potatoes and carrots are soft.
- Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with some cilantro or corriander. You can serve it over hot steamed rice or with a crispy baguette.
Since 2011, I've passionately shared my cooking videos on social media to help food lovers make mouthwatering authentic Vietnamese dishes at home. I've been featured in many prestigious magazines and TV shows, playing different roles like a character, guest, and even a cooking show host. I'm also a proud author of best-selling cookbooks that have made their way into kitchens all over the world. You can grab my cookbooks in English, Vietnamese, or Chinese from tons of online stores and bookshops worldwide. Let's cook up some tasty adventures together!