Grilled Banana Wrapped in Sticky Rice – Chuối bọc nếp nướng
Recipe: Grilled Banana Wrapped in Sticky Rice - Chuối bọc nếp nướng
By Helen Le Published: January 22, 2016
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 2 hrs 0 min
- Yield: 4 Servings
- Peel bananas, place in a bowl and toss with 1 tbsp sugar. Put it in the fridge for about 30 mins.
- Wash the sticky rice for a few times until the water runs clear, and then soak in water for 1h. Drain well and toss with a pinch of salt.
- Cook the sticky rice in a rice cooker with 1/4 cup of coconut milk, 1/4 cup of water and 1-2 pandan leaves. The liquid amount just barely covers the rice.
- When it's done, add 1 tbsp sugar and fluff well. When it's still hot, transfer 1/4 of the cooked sticky rice onto a cutting board, use a rice ladle to knead the sticky rice until it turns quite mushy.
- Transfer to a piece of saran wrap, roll it flat into a thickness of around 0.5cm. Place a banana in the center and wrap it up, shape it nicely and twist the excess plastic wrap, so the sticky rice will stick and hold th banana tight. You can also add some shredded young coconut into the sticky rice.
- Remove the plastic wrap and use a smaller piece of banana leaf to wrap the banana lengthwise, and then use another to wrap around it.
- Grill the rolls over charcoal or infarred stove. You can also grill in the oven at 250C/ 480F for about 20-30 mins, rotating occasionally.
- For the coconut sauce: In a saucepan, combine 1 cup of coconut milk, 1 tbsp sugar, a pinch of salt and 1/2 tsp tapioca or corn starch. Stir really well before turning on the stove and bring it to a boil. You can also add some pandan leaves.
- When the sticky rice layer is nicely golden, remove the banana leaves and cut into bite-sized pieces. Drizzle the delicious and rich coconut sauce over on top and sprinkle some crushed roasted peanuts and sesame. Best serve hot.
Since 2011, I've passionately shared my cooking videos on social media to help food lovers make mouthwatering authentic Vietnamese dishes at home. I've been featured in many prestigious magazines and TV shows, playing different roles like a character, guest, and even a cooking show host. I'm also a proud author of best-selling cookbooks that have made their way into kitchens all over the world. You can grab my cookbooks in English, Vietnamese, or Chinese from tons of online stores and bookshops worldwide. Let's cook up some tasty adventures together!