Chè Thái – Mixed Fruits in Coconut Milk Dessert
Chè Thái - Mixed Fruits in Coconut Milk Dessert
By Helen Le Published: July 23, 2014
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 15 mins
- Ready In: 45 mins
- Yield: 8-10 Servings
- FOR THE JELLY
- 1 tbsp agar-agar powder
- 2 cups + 4 tbsp water
- 3-4 tbsp sugar
- FOR THE RED RUBIES
- 1 can water chestnut 230g (8oz), diced
- a few drops red food coloring
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch
- TROPICAL FRUITS
- 1 can longan/lychee in syrup 585 g/ 26 oz, sliced
- 1 jar nata de coco 340g / 12 oz
- 1 can toddy palm seeds 585 g/ 26 oz, sliced
- 1 can jackfruit 585 g/ 26 oz, cut into strips
- 1 can coconut milk 14 fl oz/ 400ml
- To make the jelly, mix the agar-agar powder with 4 tbsp water. Leave to sit for 10 minutes. In a saucepan, combine the agar-agar mixture with 2 cups water and sugar. Bring to a boil and skim off the foam. Lower the heat to low and cook for 3-5 minutes. Then pour to a tray. Leave to cool and set completely. Then cut into cubes or strips.
- To make the red rubbies, in a plastic bag or container, mix the diced water chestnut with red food coloring and tapioca starch. Shake well to coat. Transfer to a strainer and shake off the excess starch. Boil the cubes for 3-5 minutes until they float to the surface. Remove with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl of ice cold water.
- Add the prepared tropical fruits to a serving glass, layer by layer. Then pour the coconut milk (or half-and-half) and add sugar syrup to your taste. Add crushed ice. Mix well and serve.
Since 2011, I've passionately shared my cooking videos on social media to help food lovers make mouthwatering authentic Vietnamese dishes at home. I've been featured in many prestigious magazines and TV shows, playing different roles like a character, guest, and even a cooking show host. I'm also a proud author of best-selling cookbooks that have made their way into kitchens all over the world. You can grab my cookbooks in English, Vietnamese, or Chinese from tons of online stores and bookshops worldwide. Let's cook up some tasty adventures together!