Bún chả cá – Fish Cake Noodle Soup
Bún chả cá - Fish cake noodle
By Helen Le Published: May 20, 2011
- Prep: 30 mins
- Cook: 1 hr 30 mins
- Ready In: 5 hrs 0 min
- Yield: 6-8 (4-6 Servings)
This is one of the signature dishes of Danang Cuisine. The broth is cooked from various kinds of vegetables, which makes it very tasty and healthy.
- ***For the fish cake***
- 400 g clown/featherback knifefish paste
- 400 g catfish paste
- 200 g pork back fat diced
- 4 spring onion stems (white part only) minced
- 4 tbsp wheat flour
- 1 tbsp chicken/pork stock
- 2-4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 eggs
- ***For the soup***
- 500 g (1.1 lb) pumkin unpeeled and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 300 g (10.5 oz) cabbage
- 3 medium tomatoes cut into wedges
- 300 g (10.5 oz) pineapple eyes removed and sliced
- 400 g (14 oz) bamboo shoot shredded
- 4 liters (4 quarts) water/ chicken broth/ pork broth
- ***For the coloring oil***
- 1 tbsp paprika powder / annatto seeds / annatto powder
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup cilantro chopped
- 800 g dry rice vermicelli (Bun kho) or 1.5 kg cooked vermicelli (bun tuoi)
- ***For the fresh vegetable platter***
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Lettuce, mint, Asian basil, beansprouts etc.
- crushed garlic and chili
- To make the fish cake, in a large mixing bowl, combine the fish paste and speck, minced spring onion stems, wheat flour, chicken stock, salt, pepper, sugar and eggs. Mix until well combined.
- Grease a mortar and pestle with some vegetable oil. Transfer the mixture to the mortar and grind by hand till consistent. This helps to create the chewy texture of the fish cake. If you have a stand mixer, use the flat beater (paddle attachment) to mix the paste for 5-10 minutes.
- To shape the fish cake, place a large piece of plastic wrap on a round plate, transfer a portion of the paste onto it. Flatten and shape the paste into 1-inch disk.You can also shape the fish paste into fish ball or patties.
- Pan-fry the fish cakes both sides till golden brown. You can also steam for 20 minutes to make steamed fish cake. Then cut the fish cakes into bite-sized pieces.
- Cook the vegetable soup, in a large soup pot, bring 4 liters (4 quarts) of water/ chicken broth/ pork broth to a boil. Add the pumpkin cubes and cook for 20 mins. Then add bamboo shoot, tomatoes and pineapple. Keep boiling under medium heat for another 15 minutes.
- To make coloring oil, mix1 tbsp paprika powder / annatto seeds / annatto powder with the vegetable oil, then microwave for 1 minute.
- Add fish cake pieces and coloring oil to the pot, season to taste with sugar, salt, fish sauce and chicken stock.
- To assemble the dish, fill the large serving bowl one third full with rice vermicelli. Ladle the soup, fish cake and vegetables over the vermicelli. Garnish with chopped spring onion and cilantro.
Serve with fine shrimp paste, coarsely crushed fresh garlic and chilli, fresh greens and beansprouts, and a wedge of lime.
Since 2011, I've passionately shared my cooking videos on social media to help food lovers make mouthwatering authentic Vietnamese dishes at home. I've been featured in many prestigious magazines and TV shows, playing different roles like a character, guest, and even a cooking show host. I'm also a proud author of best-selling cookbooks that have made their way into kitchens all over the world. You can grab my cookbooks in English, Vietnamese, or Chinese from tons of online stores and bookshops worldwide. Let's cook up some tasty adventures together!