Palm Sugar Honeycomb Cake – Bánh Bò Thốt Nốt
Palm Sugar Honeycomb Cake - Bánh Bò Thốt Nốt
By Helen Le Published: January 20, 2022
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 20 mins
- Ready In: 30 mins
- Yield: 2 - 3 (2 - 3 Servings)
Palm Sugar Honeycomb Cake has recently become a trendy absolute snack among the Vietnamese teens and office workers, with a dark brown crust and slightly chewy texture.
- In a small saucepan, dissolve the palm sugar
over medium low heat. When it's melted,
add the coconut milk and stir well.
When the sugar is completely dissolved,
turn off the heat and leave to cool.
- Combine tapioca starch and rice flour, then sift into the mixture. Stir well.
- Crack the eggs in a bowl and beat well. Strain the eggs and combine with the butter. Add the vegetable oil and stir well. Leave the batter to rest for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 170 degrees Celsius for about 15 minutes. Then place an empty bundt cake pan into the oven for 10 minutes. Take out and brush/spray with vegetable oil to prevent sticking. Then, place the cake pan back into the oven for another 5 minutes. The cake pan should be really hot when you pour the batter into it. This step is very crucial for the success of the cake, so please do not skip it.
- Add the baking powder and baking soda into the batter. Stir to dissolve and quickly pour the batter into the pan through a strainer (make sure that the cake pan is still very hot when you do this). Bake the cake for 20 minutes at 170 degrees Celsius, then lower the heat to 160 degrees Celsius and bake for another 25 to 30 minutes.
- When it's done, turn off the oven. Keep the cake in the oven for another 5 minutes with the oven door slightly open, so the cake will not deflate because of temperature shock.
- Remove the cake from the oven and leave to cool. When you slice it, the beautiful honeycomb structure will be revealed. The cake has a beautiful sweetness from palm sugar with a rich and fragrant flavor of coconut milk. You can serve with some coconut milk sauce and sprinkle with some roasted sesame for more flavor.
Palm Sugar Honeycomb Cake – Bánh Bò Thốt Nốt – Watch how to make it on Youtube