Three color dessert – Chè ba màu
Recipe: Three color dessert - Chè ba màu
By Helen Le Published: March 8, 2015
- Prep: 15 mins
- Cook: 30 mins
- Ready In: 1 hr 45 mins
- Yield: 6-8 Servings
NOTES - If you use other kinds of jelly powder, please follow the package instruction instead - Please adjust the sugar amount …
- To make the green color jelly, dissolve 1 tbsp agar agar powder in 4 cups (1 liter) of water. Bring to a boil while constantly stirring. When it boils, lower the heat, add 1/4 cup sugar and cook for a couple of minutes. Then turn off the heat and add ½ tsp of green food color or pandan extract. Stir to blend the color completely, then transfer to a container and let cool to set.
- To make the yellow layer, wash ½ cup of peeled split mung beans a few times and then soak in water for about 30 minutes. Then cook with 1 ½ cup of water until soft. When the beans turn mushy, add a quarter cup of sugar and use a blender or spoon mash it into a paste. After adding the sugar, cook on low heat for about 10-15 minutes and then transfer to a container. When it cools down, it will thicken like a pudding.
- For the red layer, rinse the red kidney beans a few times to get rid of the salt water. In a saucepan dissolve ½ cup sugar with 2 tbsp of water under low heat. When the sugar is completely melted, add the red kidney beans and simmer on low heat for about 10-15 minutes until the beans absorb the sweetness of the sugar.
- When the green jelly is completely set, loosen out the edges and remove it from the mold. Cut the jelly into thin strips.
- Into a tall sundae glass, add some crushed or shaved ice, then a few tbsp of sweetened red kidney beans, then the yellow layer of the mung beans pudding, and then the shredded green jellies on top. Top it up with some coconut sauce. Serve cold.
– If you use other kinds of jelly powder, please follow the package instruction instead
– Please adjust the sugar amount to your taste.