Vegan Peking Duck – Vịt Quay Bắc Kinh Chay
Vegan Peking Duck
By Helen Le Published: June 28, 2022
- Prep: 10 mins
- Cook: 45 mins
- Ready In: 55 mins
- Yield: 2-3 Servings
At first glance, many people would think that this is roasted duck, but the good news for those of you vegetarians out. There, there's actually no meat in this recipe. Made with king oyster mushroom wrapped in bean curd skin, this mock baking duck recipe gonna surprise you both by its look as well as its taste.
- Remove the cap of the king oyster mushrooms, rinse well and pat dry. Bring the saucepan of water to a boil, add the leek which I have cut into shorter lengths, a few slices of garlic and ginger, half a teaspoon of salt, bring to a boil until it gets aromatic. Add the king oyster mushrooms and cook for about 30 minutes until they get tender and fragrant.
- Use a knife to make a cut lengthwise into the king oyster mushrooms about one inch into the body. Then run the knife around the core of the mushrooms and cut it open into a rectangular piece about 1 inch thick. Then score diagonal lines in a crisscross button on both sides of the mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper and wrap well on both sides.
- Place half a cup of tapioca starch on a plate, roll the mushroom stick over the tapioca starch to coat on both sides.
- Soak the bean curd skin in water for about 5 minutes to soften, then drain well and layout on a flat surface. Place the mushroom stack in the center and wrap up like you would wrap a parcel.
- For the sauce, you will need a tablespoon of vegan oyster sauce, a teaspoon of sesame oil, half a teaspoon of five-spice powder, half a teaspoon edge of pepper, and stock powder, a teaspoon of vinegar, a teaspoon of sugar or maple syrup. Stir well to combine.
- Heat some oil in a pan, fry our parcels until golden brown on both sides. Brush the sauce over the two sides. Of the parcels, simmer on low heat for about 1 minute per side until you get little caramelization on the skin. Drain off the oil and chop into bite-size pieces.
Vegan Peking Duck – Vịt Quay Bắc Kinh Chay – Watch how to make it on Youtube